In all probability the village goes back to the time of the Settlement of the Magyars,since there are quite a few villages,and even a county called Borsod. Such place names take their origin from names of people. In Chapter 10 in the Gesta Hungarorum Anonymus writes that Bunger, father of Borsu was one of the Cuman (Hungarian: kun) chieftains arriving together with the Magyars. He was granted the land between Tapolca and the river Sajó, the castle of Gy?r (Diósgy?r) which he called Bursu castle, and gave the name to the county too. One of his descendants must have moved here and given his name to the place.
The village is located 2,2 km south-east from the town of Baja. The neighboring villages are Bácsbokod (22 km), Katymár (8,4 km) and Gara (12,3 km). On the south its administrative area is bordered by the state border on 2.4 km, 7.1 km away from the village. The area is flat, with the flora and fauna typical of the region.
The Celtic and Sarmata objects found here prove the area has been lived in for several thousand years. The trade road crossing it gave it specific relevance even after the time of the Hungarian Settlement. The first document mentioning it as Borsódszetl?rinc is from 1330, the time of King Charles Robert. During the Turkish Subjection the number of population was quite high, shown in a tax list of the Kalocsa Bishopric from 1543: locals here paid four times as much as the residents in Kalocsa. After the time when the Turks were driven out, the village belonged to the border zone. The Latinovits family bought it in 1725, after it had been sold by its previous owner János Buttler, captain of the castle, to János Hammerschnidt, who sold it to the Latinovits family (Dániel and István) in the same year. After the Turkish times and the Rákóczi rebellion a large number of settlers arrived in the desolated region. Borsód was settled in by Hungarians in 1781. During 1848 the Latinovits family took sides with the Hungarians, and as a result, their financial situation was considerably weakened after the disarming at Világos. (Three of their mansions are still functional, one of them housing the ?szi Napfény Nursing Home - see photos attached.)
The present parish has retained its original structure and street network. Consisting of farms and groups of farms, its outer area occupies 7.601 hectares. When they abandoned their farms, voluntarily or forced, the farmers settled down around a central core. All of the 15 streets are densely built in, with only few vacant sites, and all roads have a hard surface.
Apart from a sewage system, the infrastructure is complete. The institutions cover all areas of basic education, health care, and culture. English, German, and Russian languages are taught in the primary school. There are enough computers for all pupils in a class to work independently. The school has a full-sized hard surface sports ground (with lighting). The culture centre boasts a 6.800-volume library, which also houses the music school with 45 students. The ladies' choir (classified Gold on the national standard) proves how popular folk songs are in Bácsborsód. Although there are no rooms to rent for tourists, there are plenty of sights: the three Latinovits mansions, the slightly dilapidated but still remarkable crypt chapel, three protected trees, around 350 years old, under which Rákóczi is thought to have rested.
History of the church
The right to build a church in Borsód was granted by the Archbishop of Kalocsa to György Latinovits. The 8 meter tall building with a wooden tower was completed by 1781. It was consecrated in 1784 in honour of relocating the Holy Cross. The original altar painting, which was replaced with a new purpose painted one by Sándor Éber Jr. in 1934, was purchased from the church in Tataháza. Leged has the models were residents of Bácsborsód. The cross in front of the church was erected in 1832. Later it was capsized by storms in 1874 and 1948 but it was restored on both occasions. The original 1781 building has been modified several times. The wooden tower structure was replaced with a brick one. In order to purchase a tower clock the parish priest contacted János Müller, a watchmaker in Ó-Becse. His offer would have cost 476 forints, but the deal fell though, for reasons unknown. The church had four bells in 1896. The fee for ringing them ranged from 40 korona (crowns) to one forint, depending on the number of bells to ring. The ringer received a third of the sum. There was a minor restoration in 1942, indicated in the records (new plaster-work, expanding the vestry, installing a wind-break, guilding the tubernaculum).