The (József) Latinovits Castle

The Latinovits's von Borsós and Katymár became one of the richest and most influential families of Bács-Bodrog County with buying huge lands in the northern parts of Bácska in the 18th century. It is interesting, that the according to the family's legacy they came from the Dalmatian city of Kattaró, they lived there as the slav descendants of the roman, and this is proven by the "latin" base of the family name. But it is a fact, that the turkish conquest drove the family to Hungary, then settled down in Baja in the second part of the 18th century. Just as like in other dalmatian families men were soldiers.
When the autonomous, specially stated military sentryborders were ended the Latinovits's switched to farming and landowning, which played a more and more serious part in their life. They gained considerable amount of land by 1718. Tradicionally, due to their history of war, they petitioned for the nobility title to the king, which was given to them as a charter by Charles III on 23 September 1719 in Vienna. On 2 December 1725 Dániel and István Latinovits bought the half of the previously borrowed land of Hammerschmidt von Borsód and Legyen, and then the other hal fin 1726. The family's primal lands were the two adjoining settlements, Katymár and Borsod, which are shown in family name's noble prefixes.
The prefix 'von Borsód' was given to them by Maria Teresa in 1747 as a donation. Int he second part of the 18th and int he 19th century the family built two castles and two mansions, also a romantic styled family crypt by Illés Latinovits on 1880. The first castle was bulit in a baroque style in 1767 by József Latinovits, the royal councillor and vice ispan of Bács-Bodrog County. It was burned down in 1853, and then restored by its owner Frigyes Latinovits. He built a new ell to the castle, which was bigger than the existed main ell, enlarging its floorspace by a lot. By the end of the century a 2000 pieced library, and the maps of the Latinovits estate (from the time of Maria Theresa) were kept in the castle. None knows why, but Endre Latinovits tore down the curtain and the new part of the building in 1930, leaving only the base of the castle, and then he sold it in 1934. The new owner was the Roman Catholic Church.

The (Ernõ) Latinovits - Pucher - Schumacher - Sauerborn Castle
The other castle of the Latinovits's von Borsód and Katymár was probably built in last quarter of the 19th century by Ernõ Latinovits, parliamentarian and first lieutenant of the cavalry. Later he sold it to József Pucher von Bagos, who got his nobility title and prefix in 1892 with being a architect of arts and a building contractor.

The (Gedeon) Latinovits Masion
The mansion was built in a Classic stlye by Gedeon Latinovits in about 1830. The building stood in the ownership of the family for all time, after Gedeon his daughter, Judith inherited it with her husband, Illés Latinovits, who was a member of the family's part of Borsód and Katymár. Then by the turn of the century Géza Latinovits became the owner, who played a remarkable public life

The Latinovits - Horthy - Latinovits Castle (demolished)

The parish Katymár, which stands in the southern part of the county, was first mentioned in a note from 1388, in the form of Kachmar. By 1590 there were 22 tax paying houses, which got into the royal treasury's property after the Turkish occupation. From there the parish was bought by János and József Latinovits in 1800; the certificate for this event was written in 1801, which also gave the prefix 'von Katymár' to the family. From this point till the end of World War II the village was in the property of the Latinovits's, who did a lot for the process of Katymár.The castle was built by the widow Sándor Latinovits von Borsód and Katymár, Baroness Etel Geramd, after his husband made it all possible by creating a well paying model farm on his estate after his retirement from public life. The architect is unkown. Their son, Illés Latinovits finished the work in the 1840's.
Illés Latinovits played a memorable public life in Bács-Bodrog County, he was known as a "highly educated and trained man" by his contemporary. After he died in 1886 his daughter Margit became to owner with her husband, cavalry general vitéz (as 'valiant', member of an order) István Hothy von Nagybánya, who was the younger brother of governor Miklós Horthy. For the end of the century a 14.000 pieced library was kept between the castle's walls. The pair lived in the building till 1921, when it was sold due to Horthy's wish, because it wasn't wise for a staff officer to live just a few kilometers away from the newly created Hungarian-Yugoslavian border. The family bought a new castle in the heart of the country in Gyömrõ. The new owner was - also a member of the Latinovits's - János Latinovits von Borsód and Katymár. He was a knight of Malta, and was the first ispan of Bács-Bodrog County in 1937-38. The castle and estate was taken from the family in 1945, then pulled down after despoliation. The castle's detailed presentation can be downloaded here!

The (János) Latinovits Mansion (demolished)
The mansion of the Latinovits's von Borsód and Katymár was built in the early 19th century, probably by the royal councilor and vice ispan of Bács-Bodrog County, József Latinovits, who could start the work right after he aquired the estate. It was in the family property till 1921, when János sold it to buy the mansion of István Horthy von Nagybánya and Margit Latinovits von Katymár. The building was mentioned in 1951, so it was not pulled down right after 1945.
The (Albin) Latinovits Mansion

The mansion was built by the lord of the bedchamber and the Kaiser, golden spurred valiant Albin Latinovits von Borsód and Katymár in the second quarter of the 19th century in the western part of the parish Madaras. There is no information about the building, probably it was demolished.

The (Oszkár) Latinovits Mansion (demolished)

The Latinovits's von Borsód and Katymár also had a mansion in Göböljáráspuszta. The building stood in the domain, which was also the center of the large Latinovits von Göböljárás estate. Its las owner was Oszkár Latinovits, whose son was one of the most gifted actor, the "actor king" of Hungary, Zoltán Latinovits. The mansion was demolished after 1945.

The Latinovits Crypt
The crypt of the Latinovits's von Borsód was begun to build 15 August 1880. The head priest was invited to Borsód to help in the blessing of the chapel of Blessed Virgin Mary, which was built and decorated richly by the noble Illés Latinovits von Borsód and Katymár. The chapel was built because Illes and his wife, Judit Latinovits wanted the family's dead into one crypt, but the cemetery of Borsod was far away from there, which was not easy to approach, especially in rain, so they wanted to have a crypt in the small forest near their garden. And to be able to have a holy mass for their dead, they planned a chapel to build. After 1945 the graves were robbed several times, the chapel is also in sad conditions.

The whole reconstruction plan and budget calculation of the crypt can be downloaded here.

To be able to have a holy mass for their deceased, they planned a chapel. And this is how it happened, what they thought for the respect of their dead, the love of God did it: today stands for the shrine and love of God the most worthy and iron lasting monument for a catholic man. The chapel was blessed by canon of Kalocsa, right reverend Gábor Latinovits with the help of head priest Eusebius and the chaplain of Almás. After the holy ceremony the right reverend had a short speech in Hungarian, in which he glorified the patron of the chapel, the Blessed Virgin Mary, had a remembrance of the piety of the family, then encouraged the trusting to follow the Latinovits's with the help of the Blessed Mother in all that is good, holy, to grow the fruits of forgiveness. At about 1 o'clock a great lunch was held for the noble guests. Amongst them there were 6 priests and 2 learning priests for Kalocsa. At the end lunch lord Illés stood up and welcomed the Holy Fathers and Pope Leo XIII with a toast and great respect, and then showed precedent openly with devotion and honest gratitude for the privilege, which was permitted to the chapel's visitors, or to the ones praying. After that many gave speeches to welcome the cardinal eminence of the bishopric, as well the right reverend canons. The crypt was opened and robbed several times after 1945, the chapel is also in sad conditions.

The ruined building, which is standing in the center of the village in a beautiful environment, will be saved by the local government. The Primateship of Kalocsa granted HUF 500.000 to reconstruct the roof to prevent the further ruination. As for now there is no hope for the full restoration, but such as this, maybe there is a chance to save one of the village's prides little by little. The building is in private property now, but the owner does not care for to stop the ripping. The local government could only pronounce the building dangerous, and then demolish, but instead they chose this step by step program of restoration. The chapel is behind fence because of the danger of ripping.
Ten coffins were placed in the crypt. Four of them are sealed with signed plate, so they are presumably in the chamber (5; 7; 8; 10). One has only the sign, the chamber itself is empty (2). In the five other cases everything is missing. According to written memories the remains of widow Lázárné Latinovits von Borsód, and Vincze Latinovits von Borsód were put in the crypt for eternal peace, but the coffins's whereabouts are unknown. The chapel's builder, Illés Latinovits and his wife also rest here, but they're place is not identified. The one remaining of the ten chambers is anonym.


The chambers' status and writings as by following the numbers on the drawing:

No.
Status
Writing
1.
empty, w/o plate
-
2.
empty w/ plate Alfons Angeli
Died 8 July 1923
3.
empty, w/o plate
-
4.
empty, w/o plate
-
5.
sealed w/ plate Alice Latinovits
25 November 1881
Lived 10 days
6.
empty, w/o plate
-
7.
sealed w/ plate Eugenia Tansperg, born Latinovits
Lived 24 years
Died 25 May 1887
8.
sealed w/ plate Here lies for eternal dream the widow Illésné Latinovits von Borsód and Katymár, née Judit Latinovits
Born on 6 January 1824
Died 19 December 1897
Rest her soul
The law of opposition brought my memory here. The hardest stone for me to keep: She was fond as a woman and mother, the loving kindness herself.
9.
empty, w/o plate
-
10.
zsealed w/ plate Adolf Latinovits
Lived 3 years
Died 21 August 1851